I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Reaching For The Stars

     Having the right mindset and determination is the key to success. Mindset by Carol S. Dweck states that there are two different mindsets that people have: fixed or growth. Dweck uses many scenarios that emphasize the difference among these two. One example Dweck states is that people with a fixed mindset believes that they are better than others when they are successful. However, people with a growth mindset takes their success and stays humble with it. People with the fixed mindset would ask themselves: "If you're somebody when you're successful, what are you when you're unsuccessful".
     Although Mindset is all about having the growing mindset, I believe that we need a balance of having both a fixed and growing one. If all we have is a growth mindset, where would our limitations be? If we just have a fixed mindset, would we try to reach above and beyond our comfort standards?Where do you stand on this argument?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that having a growth mindset is healthier than a fixed one because you don't punish and demean yourself but instead accept obstacles and "failures" as learning opportunities and chances for improvement. Jenny, I don't see a problem with having no limitations. Does having no limitations make you feel uneasy? I view it as liberating and a never ending intellectual adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though Patty is correct, I also believe that a balance would be useful. We need limitations to be balanced and reaching above our comfort standards will help us test ourselves and reach our limit. We should try to obtain both of he characteristics of both mindsets.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.