I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Development and Twins

David Shenk challenges everything we have been taught about talent/intelligence and its relationship with genetics and our environment in his book The Genius in All of Us.  He claims "talent is not a thing, it's a process" and it has little to do with genetics only; instead it has to do with genetics, practice and our environment.  Shenk encourages the reader to get rid of that negative mindset that discourages us from taking risks and trying, which is the idea that people are born talented or smarter than others. Shenk also claims "children develop only as the environment demands development", which I agree with based on my own experience.  In a trip i took to Mexico two summers ago, I noticed that almost everyone had given up education (especially the men) because there were not a lot of resources and jobs that required education (and the jobs that did, only required basic knowledge).  Their lives are limited and they don't have as much opportunities as there are here. (Also, it made me think of how each individual has their own knowledge on different things based on their environment and likes/dislikes).

I found chapter four, "The Similarities and Dissimilarities of Twins", was the most interesting chapter for me.  The chapter is exactly about what the title says.  I finished reading this chapter and had one question still in my mind.  If our environments contribute to who we are, then why are siblings often so different from each other? (They don't necessarily have to be twins). Obviously they share similarities but where do the extreme differences come from?

Overall, the book was easy to follow because of the simple words he chose to use and his inclusion of the epilogue which was full of sources and helpful information.  I finished reading feeling empowered and with the determination to improve myself.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maria! I completely agree with your blog post on The Genius In All of Us. Although I have not read the book, you make an extremely valid case. If Shenk believes that everything we've been taught about talent and intelligence has little to do with genetics, then why are twins so different from each other? I believe that both genetics and environment plays a major part in the way we are developed as human beings. Honestly, your post makes me want to read The Genius In All of Us and I applaud you in doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like what Shank said, our smartness is determined by Genes x Environment; however, genes are extremely small compared to the environment in the factors in intelligence. At least that's what I assume.
    My favorite part about the book was the ideas Shenk poured out. "Talent is not a thing, it's a process." I absolutely adore this quote as I can't help but agree wholeheartedly. In the end, genes and the environment won't help much if we don't strive toward our goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I too feel a bit empowered by the words from the novel and I hope to use this to my advantage in my lifestyle. The similarities and dissimilarities of twins was very intriguing to me and also led my to think about my sister and I. We are four years apart and have a lot of common interests, but what most stands out is our looks. I have much lighter skin and hair while my sister reflects the Mexican side of my family. Of course normal siblings will be different from twins, but a lot of the research mentioned could have just have easily been used with my and my own sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some really interesting ideas you bring up! It's true that siblings are very different. I have fraternal twins in my family and they are pretty opposite! My sister is a risk taker and usually acts first, thinks later. My brother is very cautious and likes to know exactly what is going on at all times. He is a planner. My sis is very sporty and good at anything physical: piano, swimming, gymnastics, and dancing, while my bro is the exact opposite. The female twin is very outgoing, while the male twin is extremely shy. At the same time, though, they also have many similarities. Both have a greater-than-normal capacity to share (when you're a twin, you've been sharing before birth!). Both twins are extremely protective of the other twin and always know where their twin is located. The twins have some similar mannerisms, and both are learning to love reading. It's interesting to think about twins and their similarities and differences. I wonder what causes these differences between twins and how their environment has shaped their similarities...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.