I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Television-based society

Hey bloggers
I have finally finished the nonfiction novel, Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman. In this book, he is making strong points and generalizations. Television is not necessarily promoting education but amusement instead. Everything of public interest that is televised has transformed into something different from what it originally was. He stresses the point that educational programs change the traditional style of learning in classrooms. This reorientation of learning should not only be observed in the decline of influence in a classroom but that the learning environment tranforms into a place where amusement lives. Postman also adds that television determines our new definition of truth; it is based on the impressions that the teller provides. It keeps a tone of inconsistency and is full of discontinuities. This does not give people enough time to fully understand subjects. Postman admitts that television has its positive benefits but what makes it harmful is that people are so accustomed to its discontinuities. The fact is, they do not even care either. We find it difficult to distinguish what is show business and what is reality. This is connected to Huxley's prediction of society; that wisdom and truth will be discarded for entertainment. Postman agrees with Huxley and these ideas contradict Orwell because he predicts that society will be deprived of knowledge and reality. That what we hate will destroy us. No one can be certain about what the future holds for this culture today but all we can see is that it is a dangerous road to drive on

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you Taureece. Not to long ago I noticed that One Direction were on Sesame Street. When you continue to put such famous people on educational programs, clearly no one is going to want to watch the program for is educational purposes. The entertainment figures continue to blind the viewers of the sole purpose of the EDUCATIONAL program. I also agree with you on our new definition of truth. Based off what I read, with such little information that is provided, it is challenging to make out what is true and what is false. It is very dangerous to be accustomed to the influence that television and the media have on our cultures discourse.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.