I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, July 18, 2014

Internet and Activism

In the middle of chapter nine in Smarter Than You Think by Clive Thompson, he states that some people think that one of the concerns of online conversations is that the conversations may never turns into action.  Complaining about an issue online is easier than doing something about the issue in reality.  This could be cause for concern because if we simply toss around an idea online or just click "like" on Facebook, we think we are doing something when in reality nothing is getting done.

These fears are being put to rest because studies show that people who are more socially active online are more civically active offline.  That means, those who converse about an issue online are more likely to actively pursue change.  Also, when people post or talk about issues online it attracts others who have a similar point of view.  As the group of people grows larger, they may form a coalition or activist group or encourage people to volunteer for a cause.  The internet can be great at connecting people!

8 comments:

  1. I somewhat agree with your statement David but I feel that even the people who just "like" a Facebook comment still contribute to a greater view. It helps spread that idea to the ones who will take action. Also tossing an idea around, doesn't it have the potential to be tossed upon to another? I feel the Internet has lot of talk from people and few actions but once the idea spreads around the Internet, it spreads to the people who will take action. That's what I feel makes the Internet so wonderful. Even the people who don't really take action, help by spreading it around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I understand what you are getting at as it does "raise awareness" but I do not necessarily agree with your argument. If the awareness is raised by say one more person seeing it and possibly liking the same post, then you simply have 2 people who believe they are making a difference. Though there are exceptions to this, I feel very little to no progress is accomplished by this, no matter how much awareness is raised.

      Delete
    3. I think you're forgetting that it is still spreading awareness. Isn't awareness the biggest part about a cause? Progress is all about awareness. Those two people you were talking about are contributing into something called a butterfly effect. Two miniscule causes build up to one explosive moment. The explosive moment in question? It's called going the extra mile as David put it. Everything in life has to have a foundation to build up. Those two people spread it around and it will eventually go to others who DO GO the extra mile.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you David. The Internet has its positive benefits to society but it also has its negatives. Social sites online can form relationships between people with issues that are addressed. However, no one really takes action to the events they hear about to this day but this was natural in the past. This ties in to the points that Postman makes in Amusing Ourselves to Death. The Internet can sometimes mix up entertainment with reason and logic. Doesnt this also connect to Huxley's prediction in Brave New World, where society would throw knowledge and truth out the window for pleasure and placidness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try to clarify my statement because I know it was hard to understand. Some people think that in the growing age of the internet that people will just "like" a page on Facebook and think, "I did my part," instead of going the extra mile by going to protests, volunteering, or any other thing that supports the cause. This has been found as not true because most people who support a cause online are more likely to go the extra mile for the cause offline. Plus the internet can link similar people who believe in similar things which could cause the support group to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your statement David because I feel that if people see an issue being brought up on social media it puts the idea in their heads and they will be more likely to do something about it. I also think that when people see their friends, whether that be real-life friends or Facebook friends, getting involved in an issue they will probably become involved in the issue as well. Things such as online petitions have come about recently, so where some people say the internet gives the illusion of people doing good, I'd say otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a master of complaints, I find the points made here to be true. People who complain do not complain to get something done, we do it because we feel like we get something done, and makes us feel like we are more important than we actually are. Think about how often we complain about homework. Whine all you want, but the assignment will not change. But doesn't complaining about it make you feel more empowered? You are getting your opinion of something out into the world when you complain, and it feels good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.