I heart xkcd
Art Project
Thursday, July 24, 2014
My POV on Carr
I will soon finish The Shallows by Nicholas Carr (probably tomorrow). I found this book difficult to read because I do not share the same views as Carr. I do believe that the Internet is changing us, but not as much as Carr argues. Carr makes the argument that information and books can now be found online and is easily accessible. More people are reading ebooks instead of using physical books. So why didn't Carr publish an ebook? Carr repeatedly exemplifies that people spend a majority of their time online whether they realize it or not. Carr uses his entire book to argue that the Internet is changing they way we read and that it is difficult to think deeply while reading a book yet he writes and publishes a physical book that demands deep thinking and expects people to read and comprehend it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I did not read Carr's book, but from what you are saying here I can see how reading his book may have been difficult and frustrating. Also I am taking your side on this one because I too feel that yes, the internet is changing people, but not to the extent that you say Carr argues.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you Alex. Carr continues to say that books are becoming outdated due to ebooks and the Internet. However, like you said, he published a physical book, which shows that he still believes people are purchasing and reading books. That is why I found the Carr's books to be interesting, but I did not agree completely with his argument.
ReplyDelete