I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, July 14, 2014

Print vs Showbuisness

     Wow, I've just finished Amusing Ourselves To Death by Neil Postman. He makes some very good points and actually, I think it had an affect on how I see media now. Throughout the book, I've noticed that Postman explains the differences of a print dominated society and a television dominated society.
     In typographic times, it seems that people were more aware of each situation and had more understanding on a subject. Postman describes this time as "serious and rational," because print encouraged people to express their ideas through communication with one another creating discussions and opinions. Through newspapers, books, and education, everyone seemed more intellectually and socially stable.
     Through television, people think and react less causing the subject to become incoherent. Television wasn't created to make people think, but to create excitement, entertainment, and drama. There are programs for religion, education, and politics, but if it's not presented in an entertaining manner, its considered boring or a waste of time. Nothing that is portrayed on TV can ever really be meaningful or important because it lacks the ability to make people react and take action.
     Postman encourages his readers to not be controlled by media and to have some resistance. Though he mainly focuses on television, he refers to the internet, phones, and games too. He also believes that freeing yourself from media can open your mind to be more aware of a situation and react to it using your own knowledge and experience.

- Jenascia Wilson

4 comments:

  1. Also, if books are not presented in an entertaining and enjoyable manner, they can be considered a waste of time and boring just like television.

    In some cases people will take action to what they hear on television. If there is a flood warning on the news that is very important and people will take action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a newspaper and books the information goes from the author to the reader but the reader does not necessarily respond to the article or book like they can with the internet. We can blog and communicate through the internet but with solely print very few people would send messages back and forth because it is a slow process. With the internet and new technologies there is MORE communication because it is instant and everyone can participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is true. Without the internet and other media, we wouldnt be able to recieve important information quickly. That's actually a benefit from technology :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't finished the book yet, but you have a point. People should leave technology for a bit and actually enjoy life. I feel like technology can be controlling and addicting; like have you ever watched something on television and it makes no sense to you yet you keep watching it? I feel like this happened to people and they don't even realize it. Technology seems to take everyone to a new world where it's only them and the type of technology they use. Technology may be helpful but it is also addicting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.