Hello. I have been reading Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death for a while now and althoigh I have been struggling with the vocabulary I must admit I find this book very interesting. One of my favorite parts is when he talks about the way people spoke in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Honestly, looking at the workd today, I would've never imagined anyone capable of speaking with such complexity. He actually made me want to go out and find the Lincoln-Douglas debates to be further amazed. I suppose what I have realized with all this is that technology has actually limited our ability to think, and I think this is because we now own items that we can work with the simple push of a button, they don't really require much thinking. Now I'm not saying that technology has brought us all bad, in fact it has allowed many people, whether they be disabled or elder, to do many things without requiring much work but the lack of critical thinking has brought a negative effect to our mental abilities. If you disagree with me I would really like to know. Thanks.
-Maria C. Gonzalez
Hi Maria! I agree with all the points you have made, although technology has improved our way of life it has also handicapped us from thinking for ourselves. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite on technology because I am constantly on my phone, laptop, television, etc. but I find myself looking up questions so it is answered for me ( I know that's bad) but technology is thinking for me. As I am typing this comment it is fixing all my grammatical errors, so I am not getting challenged mentally at all. So everything is done for us in a push of a button.
ReplyDeleteHey Maria. I completely agree with you. People living in society today have so many shortcuts that we take for granted. For example, on most phones there is auto-correct. You can completely butcher the spelling of a word, and it automatically corrects it for you. You can't be in the middle of a test and rely on auto-correct to help you. Becoming too dependent on anything is always a bad habit. How are minds supposed to be challenged and stimulated if almost everything is done for us.Though the help from all of this technology makes things simpler, easier is not always better.
ReplyDelete