I have been getting messages from people, and there have been comments on the blog, suggesting that mid-July is "late" for starting summer homework. This is just silly. Just jump in. There are six weeks left to go. Honestly, do you usually take six weeks to complete even the most daunting assignment?
If you are out there thinking, "Gosh, I'd like to start posting and talking about the books, but Ms. Fletcher is going to judge me because it's July," that is simply not true. I am working very lightly myself right now. I am a big believer in rest and recovery. We work hard all year long, and summer is supposed to restore us, and get us ready for another busy year.
So start when you start. Don't sweat it.
And to the kids already blogging -- don't be snarky about people starting later than you did. There's not necessarily any virtue in starting in June over July or even August. Some of the most brilliant and creative kids I've ever worked with started late. In fact, I have no data that correlates an early start in AP English summer homework with better grades, higher test scores, fewer cavities, better personalities, or more overall happiness. We shouldn't even call a July-start procrastination.
Which is not to say I'm not proud of you kids who are blogging. I am. Bless you. The blog would be a ghost town without you.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.