I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Drowning in Information, While Starving for Wisdom

  Hi people :) ! I'm currently reading AOTD like most of you and Postman very briefly brought up our utilization of technology then I got thinking. I think someone posted a while back about the same topic I'm going to blog about but oh well! Anyways, I can't seem to take a definite stance on if the advancements in our society are more positive or negative. They are perfectly bittersweet. However, at the current moment, I am leaning more towards them being positive. I think people are the problem. We have all this information at the tips of our fingers and we just don't use it! We could use technology to be so much more productive but instead our best use of technology is to play Flappy Bird and that new Kim Kardashian app thingamajig. Honestly, it's just ridiculous. Now I'm not saying that this is how everyone uses their devices and such but how many of us have really done something significantly productive with technology? For most of us, the most productive thing would be typing an essay and even then we only did it because whoever our teacher was required us to do so. I am also not saying that if we blog hard enough for 5 minutes we can solve all the world's problems or anything but we most definitely can utilize what we have better than how most utilize it now.

  There is also a flipped side to this whole "Drowning in Information, While Starving for Wisdom" thing.   While we do have lots of information, sometimes it still feels like it's not enough. There is a ton of things that people wish we all knew. We all want to know the cure for cancer, how to accomplish world peace, how to end starvation, and so on. Technology just might be thing that will help lead the world to accomplish these things and it's frustrating that with all this information, we haven't found any way to achieve these kinds of goals yet. In a way, we hold technology on a pedestal while thinking, "Technology can do anything!" and it's very disappointing to know that as much information we do have, we aren't even close to the amount of wisdom we need.

I really hope this post makes sense to more people than me!

-Camille Burrus

6 comments:

  1. Hey Camille :) that's an interesting perspective on technology. I bet it was created for our advantage like research on the internet, or important information on the news. It does seem that we aren't productive with it because we use it for entertainment instead. Wow :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point Camille and I think once we begin our careers later in life that we will use our technology for much more productive things than games but, while we are young we simply use technology for games, social media, or when we have an essay due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with your argument Camille because technology has been used to make our lives easier then before. Our generation is the first one to take in technology so it's sort of understanding that the beginning would be to play games and use social media like Facebook. As we progress on though, I can see all of us start to use technology in a more productive manner. We have to bear in note that we are still adolescents with plenty of free time on hand. Once we mature into adulthood, we start to lose time to do what we want so, technology and the vast amount of information we have obtained become productive tools in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that most people only use technology for games and social media. I feel like people should use the internet for more important stuff like research. Just like you said I feel like technology can be the success for the traumas in life. Although, people don't usually use technology for that. Some adults do, but I feel like not every adult takes the opportunity to discover something like finding the cure to stop cancer or finding ideas to stop global warming. We may only be teenagers, but it's never too late to actually research something and be productive with the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you that most people only use technology for games and social media. I feel like people should use the internet for more important stuff like research. Just like you said I feel like technology can be the success for the traumas in life. Although, people don't usually use technology for that. Some adults do, but I feel like not every adult takes the opportunity to discover something like finding the cure to stop cancer or finding ideas to stop global warming. We may only be teenagers, but it's never too late to actually research something and be productive with the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with this you! People have the choice to educated themselves about serious issues rather than waste their time doing something irrelevant. I'm not saying entertainment is bad, of course not. But people need to know when to stop and focus on other things. Technology is a paradox, it's positive and negative.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.