I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, July 18, 2014

Technology and our education

In Amusing Ourselves To Death Postman mentions that computers are the technology in the future. Postman states, "We are told our children will fail in school and be left behind in life if they are not 'computer literate.'" I feel like this is true. In this century schools are now transitioning to more computer work other than writing. I believe this is called common core. Even though people use the computer for a lot of things I feel like this transition will make this difficult for many students and parents. If the whole world eliminated typography and moved on to more efficient stuff like computers, it may cause problems in our society. This may be the twentieth century, but not everyone knows how to use a computer. Some adults even struggle using an iPhone or iPad. What I'm trying to saw is that I don't feel like the world is ready for this big jump. It may be simpler, but it'll cause difficulties for many people that aren't use to computers.  

5 comments:

  1. I wholly agree. Postman also brings up another valid point relating to your topic. He says that reading was such an affective thing because it was available to EVERY kind of person. Computers, phones, and such aren't things that everybody can just get up and buy whenever they please. It's a lot more complicated. Also, I lied about agreeing with you WHOLLY. While it is unfortunate that not everyone has access to these resources, I do think the world is ready for this leap. The medium will alter every single day and us, as humans, will always adapt and learn to use it to our advantage. That's one of the human race's greatest attributes. Technology will always be developing, upgrading, and improving so why not show it a warm welcome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is definitely not ready to undertake the challenges associated with our rapid advancements of technology. Over the past century we have made so much progress in shaping technology to our advantage not just intellectually but also physically. Books and writing took a much longer time to be perfected so that everyone could read and understand basic conversation. However, in recent years, the generation gap of the technologically impaired has widened in my opinion. Like Camille has mentioned, technology is always being altered and we do have adapt to its changes since it has now become part of a lot people's lives. I believe these changes are just another part of the problem however, because the time we spend adjusting is the time that we take away from reflection of the impact these technologies are having on us. We could wish all we want that the onset of technology be slowed down so it can be more accommodating to most in the world, but society now craves fast and more information which makes this idea impractical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you to a certain extent. I do believe that students will fall behind if they are not "computer literate", especially having to do things such as learning to type and using microsoft excel, word, etc. We as students ourselves are not usually required to write essays, but to type them. However, I do not believe that this transition will make things difficult for many students and parents. In fact, I believe it makes things easier. Instead of having to travel to the library to retrieve a book for a project, one can research their subject with just the press of a button. A person is even allowed access to a library's computer. Everyone has the capability to learn how to use a computer if they do not already, just like how they were able to learn how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with you to a certain extent. I don’t believe that students will get left behind but I do believe that as a whole, we are not ready for our society to become based solely off of technology. Right now we are in a transitional stage, therefore the new generations to come will be tech savvy while older generations become obsolete. We grew up in a time where computers, television, and cell phones were already invented. I believe that as a whole we are not ready for this huge adjustment because we have adults that were born in a time where there were no such things as computer at all. A portion of our society doesn’t believe or want to adjust to the new technology. Change is inevitable, we may not understand it or want to be a part of this new technological era, but one day it will be at everyone’s finger tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well in order to form any kind of response to his statement, I think we'd have to know what Postman means when he says 'computer literate.' It would be very disappointing if education turned towards technology completely because that reduces interaction and is unfair to students who, for whatever reason, can't access it. But let's say a student completely new to using technology in their studies is asked to and from that point on can access it. Their inability to acquire new skills and adapt to change in education determines whether they fall behind, not how familiar they are with what is asked of them. And I believe that that is fair. The determining factor in that is if the student is *provided* with technology or not, and if they are, advancing in it should not be a problem. If it is, then that's what should be considered as "falling behind."

    Again, it ultimately has to do with what Postman means when he says "Computer literate."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.