I read the second core text first, so when I saw the posts on the blog about how hard Amusing Ourselves to Death was I got a little scared. When I started reading it, I was really confused. Moreover because I was so confused, I was quickly irritated. I was constantly rereading just to grasp Postman's concepts. However, after the first few chapters it became easier. I don't know if it became easier because I was adjusting, or Postman began writing about his concepts in a simpler manner. Whatever it was I was happy.
I am currently half way through the book, and I am finding a lot of similarities between Amusing Ourselves to Death and The Shallows. They are both talking about how technology has altered the way we think and act. The only difference is that one is talking about television while the other talks about the Internet. I just find it interesting that I never thought about the negative effects before. Is it because they have always been a part of our generation? Or has everyone grown accustomed to the negative effects and no longer care? Either way these books have been eye openers.
In my opinion, i think it's that people aren't noticing the effects technology is bringing with it and if they do notice them they just dont see the effects as negative. I actually think we're becoming more ignorant to things and in some way it's like we believe nothing bad will happen to us. Im sure many people would disagree with me but that's just my opinion.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first started reading AOTD I felt the exact same way you did. Also when I did begin to understand what Postman was saying I, like you, began realizing the negative effects of television that I had never thought about before. Although Postman was hard to understand at first, the points he brought up in ATOD are very stimulating.
ReplyDeleteHi Monique! I totally understand Postman's very perplexed way of explaining did make things a lot more complicated to understand. I found myself rereading a lot. I don't think there is negative effects using technology, at most we would become reliant on our smartphones and computers than our own sense of knowledge. I do think our generation does play a key role in on how we see technology today.
ReplyDeleteHello! I was also confused when I started reading, but I think that since we grow up watching TV we don't realize the negative and harmful effects of it because why would we be exposed to it if it had negative effects right? Postman made me realize things I never would have thought of. However, I think it one's choice on whether to be negatively affected by technology. Many aren't aware that they have a choice though, because that's just how our society runs.
ReplyDelete