I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, June 30, 2014

Is Technology Dominating Us?


Good day, fellow peers!
I have begun reading the first chapter of Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman. It is a good book so far, but it took me a lot of patience to absorb all the important points. Postman reveals that life events viewed on media are not quite effective because people are not able to truly express how they feel and think about it. Also, every tool that was created was based on beliefs and ideas. I found this very interesting; I can discern this truth especially through the example of the clock. Instead of using seeing it as a device to tell time, it nourishes the belief of a world that is in mathematically measurable sequences. I believe that Postman's main point was to explain that technology is our medium, and that is our metaphor. It is a symbolic comparison with today's culture. This book makes me realize that Huxley's predictions in Brave New World could possibly be correct. If we consume too much on technology, will it dominate us? Will we end up dissing books and old practices for pleasure?

7 comments:

  1. Honestly, I hope we do not become a nation that is absorbed into technology. I absolutely love reading. I like the feeling of the pages (minus the paper cuts), the choosing between a hard cover or paperback. Obtaining a book is such a prize rather an inanimate possession. Sure, having an app that carries all your desired books are cool, but who can you go up to, in this day and time, and honestly say that they have a broad collection of books? I can, and I'm proud of that.
    BOOKS ARE LIFE, PEOPLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! As Clive Thompson says, "Printed books amplified our memory." I love that about books! I love how much they've taught me about writing. Books have taught me things I don't believe technology could ever teach me. I also hope that in the future, we are not engulfed in the idea of technology. I know for a fact I will not let my kids become obsessed with that. They will feel the same love for books that you and I have!

      Delete
    2. Yes. Technology is not a waste. But it can be when its used in a manner that's improper. I enjoy books and will probably never get over them! (:

      Delete
    3. Babylika, your reply reminds me very much of my mom. My mom is an absolute bookworm. She reads day and night. Before the Kindle and Nooks came out, we would always go to the library to check out handfuls of books. Once the Kindle was released, my mom told me that it is such a waste of money and that she would never buy it. She worried that people with Nooks and Kindles would not be able to experience the holding of real books anymore. Surprisingly, a couple of months later, she bought a Kindle. She absolutely loves it. Even though she may have a Kindle, she still loves buying "real" books. Holding a book in your hands and being able to touch the pages might be a great feeling, but if you buy a Kindle or Nook, you are still having the experience of reading a great book. With an electronic book or just plain simple paperback, you can still enjoy whatever book you desire.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I remember one english teacher said that someone who reads books are able to grow in knowledge especially with the new vocabulary. It can improve writing skills too.
    The thing is, media and technology are not all bad, its if we let it invade our lives where it is the most important. It can interefere in our thought processes

    ReplyDelete
  3. As all of you have said that society ISN'T dominated by technology, it is now my duty to say that is HAS been dominated by tech, for a long time.

    Answer me this: how many times have been on a social media site this week? How many hours of TV have you watched? Have you been listening to music using a streaming service or device? Technology is everywhere in society, and unless you go deep into a forest somewhere, there is no escape from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology has not quite dominated our society, but it has become a huge part of it. Almost everywhere you go, you will see someone on their phone, laptop, tablet, etc. This generation has become so dependent on these devices, that some may feel that we can't function properly without them. In AOTD, Postman discusses how the printing press sparked people's interest which is great because it improved the literacy in America. The printed word was their entertainment and became the media-metaphor for their culture. Sadly, technology is the "printing press" of our generation. I'm not saying technology is a bad thing because it is very useful, but too much it is harmful.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.