First off, this book has a vast range of vocabulary. I had a pocket sized dictionary next to me the entire time, and I may be suffering from a severe case of whiplash due to the neck breaking speed I was using going from the dictionary to the book. Right now, Postman is talking about politicians as "makeup men". Using a cosmeticians skill to make them more appealing to the eye. And, I've noticed this myself. Newscasters, for example, always have there hair in such a perfect way. I ogle over the women's beautiful waves that just have to be soft to the touch. And the guys, their hair is so perfect, it looks completely fake. It's also entertainers. No one can leave the house without make up and a flawless outfit, expecting to be bombarded with cameras in their face. It also runs through the very corridors of our school. Girls with makeup covering their face and boys with Diamond Co. or some other modern male clothes line written somewhere on the article of clothing.
I can't believe that Postman is already making great arguments in the first few chapters! I will enjoy this.
->BabyLika Faalafua.
Definitly! Many dont see the quality of the information or the ideas of the person when it comes to cosmetics. I think that towards the beginning of the chapter, Postman said that cosmetics is seen as "the feild of expertise." I guess society views a person on their appearance rather than their ideas.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI didn't mean to delete that, but I said that I hate that people only go off of someone's exterior rather than the individuals mind and ideas and thoughts. Its frustrating to someone who could potentially have a world changing idea, but because they don't look the part, they don't get the part.
DeleteI have to agree. It's a bit sad that most people judge based off of first appearance rather than what the person actually holds within their heart and mind.
DeleteThis is what causes people to be included and excluded from society because they have to look a certain way. They also have to behave in a certain way. Isn't this similar to the article on Leopard Man? Influences like the good looking people on tv force us to change. We end up trying to please society rather than being our own individual.
ReplyDeleteExactly. I actually forgot about the Leopard Man. But that's where I was trying to shed some light. You and Jenascia have excellent ideas (:
DeleteSociety expects us to be our own individual yet it also sets expectations to how we're supposed to be. These expectations are given through us by means of television, music, and conversations with other people. It's mind boggling how much the outer appearance matters to other people nowadays. Even though many might say, "Don't judge a book by its cover." People still go and do it.
ReplyDelete