I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, June 9, 2014

AF: 'Digital Deadly Sins': the Morality of Our Digital Obsessions

This was on Google Plus just now.

OK, a couple of things to notice.  First, when I write to you, I will always lead with my initials (Alexandra Fletcher, not Abercrombie and Fitch).

I know it doesn't seem necessary  now since I am the only one out here writing, but very soon the blog will be crowded with your ideas and your thinking and your own digital obsessions, so I like my posts to stand out so that you will notice and realize, "Hey. My teacher is trying to communicate with me."

See those blue words?  The repeating conjunctions?  That's called polysyndeton, and it's used for rhetorical effect. And guess what?  There is another one of these:

"I came, I saw, I conquered."

See that? No conjunctions.  That's called asyndeton.  I just noticed in the Wikipedia article that I just linked to that Artistotle believed that asyndeton could be effective in conclusions, although it is more effective in spoken oratory than it is in written prose .  I shall think on it carefully, I shall try it now, I shall heed the advice of the wise Aritstotle.

PS >> I am going to work on the look of this blog soon.  It's too monochromatic for my taste, and I don't like it that the LINKS are a very light grey.  Light grey on a field of medium grey = not helpful.

PSS >> Welcome to the first two bloggers for 2014-15, Emma and Paula.  I look forward to hearing from you.  :D



2 comments:

  1. Ah Digital sins! The power of Abercrombie and Fitch Compels you! I sure hope I didn't make any mistakes in my grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect your color choices. It made the blog link's more interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.