I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Ten thousand Hours of Dedication

The book I chose for Book Club was Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I enjoyed reading the book because it talked about being successful and what makes people successful. In chapter two he begins talking about how to become an expert in everything and anything. To reach this level, one must spend up to ten thousand hours studying and practicing their special skill. I think it is absolutely crazy that someone would have to spend that much time on just to be successful however, it shows dedication. Gladwell says, "Achievement is talent plus preparation." I couldn't agree with this statement any more. I believe that you should put forth all your effort in something you love therefore, your time and dedication will pay off in the future. For example, I have been performing ever since the third grade and never have given up because I know that I would like to continue performing in the future. Eventually, my hard work, ten thousand hours, and dedication will pay off. Focus on the things that interest you and challenge you for the better.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla! I believe that some are naturally born with a certain talent, but still works hard on improving it. However some say that working hard beats talent when talent isn't working. What if someone wants to work hard at something that isn't their "special skill" but highly interests them still. If they're dedicated enough to it, would it pay off in the end such as your talent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've been reading "The Genius in All of Us" and Shenk states that talent is not a thing, its a process. After reading this book I can agree with Gladwell when he says, "achievement is talent plus preparation". For example, my favorite sport is basketball and I love to watch the NBA. These superstars that play basketball day in and day out are obviously talent and gifted athletes but they still spend 8 hours a day preparing themselves with endless training and fitness. Even though these basketball stars may have God gifted talents, they still need to practice and put work into their talent to become the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you're saying but also I believe that hard work and dedication can only get you so far. If a person who is untalented yet a hard worker went up against a person who had talent AND was a hard worker, the untalented individual would be put to shame. However, theoretically speaking a person who goes through blood sweat and tears can rise above a talented person who puts no hard work or dedication. So the unfit can potentially rise above someone talented.

    It's ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And I one hundred percent agree with your claim

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.