I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, November 7, 2014

Mindset...

 I am reading the book mindset and I honestly don't think it is that great. The book is about Carol Dweck's belief that there are two mindsets: a growth and a fixed mindset. The growth mindset means that in your mind you aren't failing you just hope to learn something new and you want to know how to fix whatever you did wrong. Fixed mindset, on the other hand, means you don't try to improve, you only want to hear about what you did right. The mistakes or a way to fix them is not important to someone with a fixed mindset. Dweck basically goes on talking about the mindsets and showing examples of them, and she kind of tells how you can fix it too, but she shows favouritism towards the growth mindset. She says that a growth mindset is the best because it will help you improve in anything.

Overall the book is very repetitive and it is not one of my favorite reads because like I said she just talks about the two mindsets over and over and since she prefers the growth mindset over the fixed mindset, she talks about its good characteristics and not the good points of a fixed mindset.


2 comments:

  1. I've noticed this too and honestly I find it very annoying. Also I wanted to point out the fact that she is so certain that there are only the two mindsets. She doesn't mention an in-between mindset or even consider that there is more that two mindsets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the book has enlightened me on mindsets, I agree with your point. Dweck repeatedly states her point over and over again through different examples. She spends too much time talking about how great the growth mindset is. I do agree with her in saying the positive effects of the growth mindset, but she makes the fixed mindset sound dreadful! Like Keone said, Dweck fails to elaborate on the in-between mindsets.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.