After watching the video in class of Shawn Achor speaking about his book, I was eager to read the book, not only after witnessing his wonderful sense of humor but just by how relatable everything he said was.
Growing up, I've always been taught that school was number one. If I got straight A's and took rigorous classes and played sports and did all these other activities that I'd be successful. I'd get into a good college and get a good career and live a happy life. And although this is all pretty much true, I've found myself pretty unhappy through this journey of high school. Not all the time, of course. But all the late night studying after a concert or race or piles of homework from each class makes me want to scream. I always think "I need to do this to be successful. I need to finish." I never ask myself "Am I happy?"
Basically, what he is trying to get through to us is that if you decide to live your life positively and try to make room for your own happiness, then that's when you'll truly be successful.
I agree with you. Most people focus on their goals and are incredibly diligent with it. They put success at the top of their list and often disregard the process they're going through to accomplish that. I often try to complete a task or reach a goal but in the process I'm stressed and unhappy. It's not as easy as Achor puts it. When we're staying up to crank out a research paper due the next day we're not happy. And we simply can't be happy in that environment.
ReplyDeleteI've always thought that if you work hard now you will have a happy and easy life later, and if you take the happy and easy life early, life will be harder in the future, but I don't think this is completely true anymore; one can live their whole life as a happy and hardworking individual. The difficult part is finding a way to make a stressful and rushed life more enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteThis is why I don't do homework late at night... haha. I meant to put eager. Not reluctant. Whoops!
ReplyDeleteIf you click on the little pencil, you can edit your won post.
DeleteBut you can't edit your comments. *own
Delete