I heart xkcd
Art Project
Monday, July 28, 2014
Counterproductivy
So, I've been reading "The Shallows" and after finishing with chapter two I can say that it is one extensive and deep discussion pertaining the brain and multiple fields of study pertaining it. But, there is one problem, the entire chapter feels like one long lecture. Not to say that this isn't particularly bad, but it makes Carr's main goal of the book (explaining how internet is turning us away from books and long articles) seem futile if he is, so early on in the book, going to turn people away from it. Because if people are not thinking deeply, as Carr argues, does he really expect people, without any real necessity to read this book, to make it through this phycology crass course?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Although I believe it is not the author's fault that we as individuals find the "lecture-like" chapter to be boring, I have to agree with you that when he delved into the deeply intellectual topics, I started losing interest. This being said is almost as ironic as him publishing an actual book. Yet at the same time, doesn't it prove Carr's point that we as a society have lost focus and gained shorter attention spans?
ReplyDeleteI agree. To readers like me that aren't necessarily the biggest fan of non-fiction text, the entire book may seem like one big lecture. However, when you really get down to it, lectures are birthed to make you think about your activities and your decisions, which was hopefully what Carr hoped would take place. Besides, a good lecture intrigues you, and because The Shallows seems to be a subject of conversation, it isn't completely negative that his book comes of that way.
ReplyDeleteI'm actually surprised that while I was reading this book I never thought about that. Marque you actually brought up a really good point because in the book he is constantly telling us how people no longer have long attention spans for books. So why would he make the book into a long discussion that, according to him, people won't completely read? Maybe he thought that only the people that truly cared for his topic would endure his long discussion. You brought up a really good point.
ReplyDelete