Could you step away from ALL media for 24-hours? How about 48-hours? That means
- no phone (cell or landline)
- no internet
- no television
- no games
- no MP3 player, radio, CD player, turntable
What would happen to you if you were confronted with all of that silence? What kind of thoughts would you think? Hey, come to think of it, have you had a deep, reflective quiet time lately? Just you and your thoughts, and maybe a canopy of trees above your head? or the breaking waves with the blue horizon in the background? Do you know how to be quiet and alone?
Personally, I would fail at one of these within the first hour. Willpower are restraint are not my strong points.
ReplyDeleteI can't survive without technology. It has taken over my brain since 2001 (3 years old) so I cannot let it go now. I CAN, however, go a day without contacting anyone with technology. Often I like to shut myself from people and just blast music out of my speakers and fester. So, no tech, no thank you. No people, however, is a better alternative for me.
DeleteI'd survive I think. I like having my own quiet and alone time. Its rather refreshing taking a step back from technology and just thinking.
ReplyDeleteI believe I could step away from technology for 48 hours considering that during spring break I locked my self out from the outside world. I refused to speak to anyone and became a ghost. Thoughts of the past, present, and future quickly clouded mind. With all these thoughts and emotions rushing through my mind, I thought I would go insane. Through this revelation a deep level of thinking arose in me. The dark clouds that clouded my judgment went away and in it's place clear skies reigned free. It opened up my eyes and a new perspective. A more calm and quiet version took over me as opposed to the loud, disruptive person I usually am. Instead of trying to keep up with everybody with technology, I decided to do what I want instead of what everyone else was doing. Just taking a step back and retreating to your own little world can make you feel more at peace.
ReplyDeleteBefore the school year ended I took a trip to the beach. I sat there on the shores from the time school got out till midnight just watching and listening to my surroundings. The tranquility of the shores made me feel more calm and serene. Night fell and no one else was around. With the moon being my only friend I closed my eyes. With it's lunar rays emitted on me and the soft wind brushing past me, I found that my emotions were ignited and became stronger than usual. Whenever I'm writing something deep and thoughtful I find that I no longer sit at a desk with T.V. in front of me, but I sit outside at night with nothing but the moon keeping me company. I recommend that everyone take a step away from technology and just go outside and listen to your thoughts and observe the world as it goes by. It can change you and open up new ways of thinking.
Love this.
DeleteYes, I would probably be able to do this but I know I would be very tempted by technology. If I had free time to myself, without media and electronics, I would usually think about my future and where I am headed in life. I also reflect on past memories and scenarios that could happen. I also would be reading of course because it helps to kill time.
ReplyDeleteI have done this a couple times before and look forward to doing it again this year. Every summer, I go camping in the mountains for a week without any technology (yes, a week, and yes, I survived!). It is always a great experience. At home, I usually turn to technology when I am bored. Without the crutch of technology to lean on, I find other more meaningful ways to spend my time. I bond with my friends. Like Anthony, I also spend time just marveling at this beautiful world we live in. I write, I read, I ponder, I serve, I explore, I dream. It seems that when my distractions fade, life becomes more meaningful.
ReplyDelete