I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

It's Funny, Isn't It??

I told myself that I would space my activity on the blog out a little bit, but now that I've started I can't stop! Anyway I really wanted to follow up on Monique's "Eye Openers" post because she had a good question.  Do we not realize the negative effects technology has had on us because it's always been there in our lifetimes?? It's funny, isn't it?? How different our childhoods were compared to those of our parents despite the mere few decades gap in between. When you put thought into it, most of our parents didn't have the internet growing up, but nowadays we literally can't even get through AP English summer homework without using the internet. Maybe that's why our parents get mad at us for being on our smartphones 24/7, or spending hours on social media. I believe that since they didn't grow up with this type of environment, they aren't blinded by technology like our generation is.  The world of technology is moving fast. What I've always wondered is whether we (as a generation) are going to end up like our parents; who weren't cast under the spell of technology, when we have children of our own, or are we going to accept technology with open arms and put it in the hands of our kids.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Anvita! I agree with both you and Monique. Technology really is a normal part of a teen's life. This reminds me of something from the book Guns, Germs, and Steel, which a few of you have read. The book talks about how sometimes necessity isn't the mother of invention: invention is the mother of necessity. The author's point was that when something is invented, it isn't automatically super important in our lives. As people start to use the invention more, they start to realize how much they need it! So like you said, what wasn't important or needed in our parents' lives is very much needed in ours. This will probably only continue. Who knows what will be invented in a few years? I think we will end up just like our parents, cautious of new technologies that our kids have already begun to need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anvita!! I agree on the points you are making. In our society today it is all about what is new in the world of technology there is really no escaping it, it is all around us. Times have changed now as a child I spent hours outside not hypnotized by the television, but now as I look around I see kids on smartphones at the park! I do think both generation and the advancement in technology play a major role for how we accept technology today. I think as we grow up we will be just like our parents, we want them to see the world not a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anvita, it is true that our generation has been so accustomed with our technological advances. When we grow older however, I believe that it will depend on ourselves as an individual, if we'll be willing to accept the technology around us or try to escape it as if it isn't there. Although it is our generation that uses the technology the most, I'm sure that our parents have had the time to grow accustom to it as well. Whether it be at work, home, or anywhere they go, they all have access to it. All in all, I believe if we set an example for other generations to come, as of right now, they'll be like us, in terms of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a good point Anvita. Accustoms continue to change with the times, but quite frankly, I think this age of technology is here to stay. You see little children casually with IPhone's and IPads and to us, we find that strange because we think "i never would've had that if i was their age" or "aren't they too young to have that". That's because it is slowly becoming normal in this generation. Technology will continue to advance and that's just something we can't control. What we can control is how we are going to let the technology around us affect us.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.