Hello everyone, I am writing to tell you about a few things I saw early into Postman's book. It might just be me overanalyzing things, but let me know if you saw the same things. Just as a heads up, the first point I make refers to a conversation that occurred in sixth period chemistry with Mr. Urciuoli, so if you didn't have that class I apologize in advance. However, hopefully you are still able to understand the point that I am making.Also I am sure that all of you have read Fahrenheit 451, but again if for some reason you haven't I apologize ahead of time because I use that work as support for my argument. Lastly, I am aware that is post does not completely cover the theme of Postman's first chapter. I am just sharing with you some connections I made while reading in hope that you saw the same things I did.
So as I began reading the first chapter of Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, I felt as though some of the points Postman was making seemed familiar to me. And then it hit me. My chemistry teacher had talked about how the news isn't the same anymore and how good-looking people are just hired to read a teleprompter now. He later went on to say that the content that is being presented by the news channels is either A. mainly not accurate or B. about celebrities. The point that my teacher was making goes perfectly with what Postman was stating. In this chapter Postman is telling the reader that not only is the way that we communicate our ideas changing, but that the actual ideas that our society is setting forth is making a sort of transition. He states that our society as a whole is changing as a result of this shift in media, and he later says that because of all of these changes we are "amusing ourselves to death". That was the first point of Postman's that seemed familiar to me, now here's the second. Still in the first chapter, Postman quickly mentions how we are altering things, such as the news, so that they are more interesting to the public; we are shortening them down into captivating headlines because people don't like being bored and would rather be entertained, and so the way that companies cope is by making everything into bite-sized tidbits of information that will grab the consumer's attention. As I was reading this I was immediately reminded of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I was reminded specifically of the part in the book where Faber, I think, I could be wrong, explains to Montag that books are no longer wanted because the stories that the books tell are now compressed into minutes-long programs on television and then made shorter and shorter as time goes on. Then I realized that the entire world that Bradbury wrote of was very similar to what Postman talks about. I mean Mildred, or as she is known in the movie, Linda, almost amused herself to death, didn't she? She sat in front of her television for hours on end and became so consumed by it that she became something that could be barely called human. Now this is the string that connects everything. Remember the part near the end where The Cousin says that Montag had been captuered but he really wasn't? Well that was false news given to the public and that was what my chemistry teacher had talked about and what Postman hinted at in the first chapter and then later discusses in the second chapter of Amusing Ourselves to Death. The fact is, the truth is being compromised just so people can be entertained.
So you see this book that Ms. Fletcher has assigned us came just at the right time, well for me at least. If you didn't have my chemistry class I hope that you are still able to see the point I am making and that you saw the connection between Fahrenheit 451 and Amusing Ourselves to Death. Please let me know if you did, thank you.
I also started to make the connection with Fahrenheit 451 while reading. Although it came to me later in the book, I was reminded of the big bulliten boards which also kind of relates to how the Age of Show Business has pretty much dominated not only our televison viewing but our physical landscape. I was also reminded of how Mildred (Linda) would constantly be consumed by pointless television that served as only entertainment. The news part you mentioned is something that I did not see at first but I now understand.
ReplyDeleteJesus, thank you for not only taking your time to read my post, but to also comment on it. I am happy to hear that you saw the same thing I did when it came to Fahrenheit 451 and AOTD. Also I am glad that I was able to show you how the news ties into all of this. Again thank you for commenting.
DeleteAriel: I've also been seeing a big connection between Fahrenheit 451 and our summer reading books. While I haven't started AOTD, I have started the Shallows, which also sends a similar message. We have begun to prioritize how fast we can get things done and how much we can get done over the quality of the things we get done. While we may think of Mildred as a character in a book in a world far different from ours, we also have fallen into her habit of watching and reading pointless things with our free time. For example, when we used to watch Disney Channel, the majority of the shows had very similar plots and only differed in actors/actresses. But we continued to watch them anyway because we didn't need intellectually stimulating shows that held your focus with a unique plot and deep message. We needed something entertaining enough that it could at least hold part of our attention while we killed time. We could go play outside and come back in and we still wouldn't have missed anything important because the shows were all the same. We could always guess what would happen at the beginning of every episode, but we didn't care, and in a way, that habit still continues with the shows we watch now. I don't really have much to say on the news topic, but I definitely agree with you on the connection to Fahrenheit 451. Nice job!
ReplyDeleteLina, thank you for also reading and then commenting on my post. Also, that example you just made about the Disney shows was something that I would have never thought about on my own, so thank you for making it. I will not be reading the Shallows because I will be reading Smarter Than You Think, so I will be reading any posts you may have on it as well as posts by the rest of our fellow bloggers. Thank you again for your time.
Delete