I heart xkcd
Art Project
Friday, June 27, 2014
Amusing Ourselves to Death
Hey everyone! I'm beginning to read Amusing Ourselves to Death and it is actually pretty difficult to read for me. Postman uses vocabulary that is hard to comprehend so I constantly have to look at the dictionary. I know if I had any kind of electronic devices on while I was reading, I would become distracted easily. As I read the first chapter, Postman made many interesting points that made me really think. For example, when he mentions that techniques like writing or a clock is not only an extension of man's power to bind time but also shapes the way we think and the content of our culture. I would have never thought something so simple as a clock could shape the way we think. Some of the things he has mentioned already in the first chapter, I would have never of thought about. He says that the invention of the eyeglasses suggests the belief that anatomy is destiny by putting the idea that our bodies and our minds are improvable. So many people uses eyeglasses on a daily basis and probably would never of thought of them in that way. Postman uses many examples so in the book that makes his idea easier to understand. However, I'm still confused when he says that a medium is a metaphor. Can anyone clear that up for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Please see bullet point #5 of my post, "Yay -- It's starting."
ReplyDeleteAlso, I believe you mean "the medium is the message."
ReplyDeleteAvram-
ReplyDeleteI continuously have to use a dictionary as well. Sometimes I use the dictionary app on my iPhone but soon get distracted merely by the fact that I am using my phone. Although language can be thought of as the primary and most direct form to communicate, we also communicate through several other "mediums". The medium was the "message" and suggests that the medium is a "metaphor" for culture. Many people assume that the traditional meaning for medium refers to the large amount of media and communication there is in our world and most actually apply the understanding of "message" as ideas and information. Therefore, we can understand anything by the benefit of change that it effects. Hopefully I helped to understand a bit more!