I heart xkcd
Art Project
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Chopin's The Awakening and Chopin's Impromptu
Being
the classic nerd that I am, I have been thinking frequently about the
Awakening. I ended up listening to Chopin’s Impromptu, the piano piece that
Madame Reisz plays throughout the book. I absolutely loved it. I recommend
everyone go and listen to it on Youtube, even if it’s just background music for
your homework (side note: if you want to be really astonished, watch a video
with a little girl playing the piece. It’s insane that a child’s little fingers
can move so fast!). It is a very beautiful piece, and at the end of listening
to it, you can definitely understand why Edna ends up in tears after listening
to it! I think the song meshes so well with the themes of the book. It’s very unpredictable
and impromptu, so it is justly named. It reminds me of Edna’s varying emotions
in the book, as Edna experiences so many intense emotions that come and go in
flurry, as sometimes she goes to bed depressed but wakes up happy and hopeful.
It also reminds me of the impromptu decisions she makes in the book, like breaking
a vase in a fit of anger and deciding to move to the pigeon house. Also, the trills and runs in the song remind
me of flying. In this case, the song can be seen as the exact opposite of Edna
or an example of what Edna will never be: free. She is instead a bird deprived
of flight and freedom. Well, anyways, I could think about comparisons like this
all day! (well, I kind of did…) Just wanted to share this little jewel of the
Awakening I found to see what everyone would think. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.