I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

AF: List of things to do: Throw Together a White Elephant Party!

Sorry I'm late with this, Kids (especially Hanna). An administrator pulled me into a project that I did not know I was in charge of...just a horrible surprise.  But I'm sort of done for now.

A White Elephant gift exchange has many variations, but here is how we will play:

Bring in something that is good, but sort of weird -- this is a perfect time to regift those goofy presents you have received over the years.  I have something funny Carlos gave me a few years ago, and I'm definitely bringing it.

If you don't own anything like that, but you'd still like to play, buy a very inexpensive "gag gift" that you would not mind receiving.  Don't spend more than $5.  Giant candy bars, bags of chocolate and bottles of bubbles are good gifts.  Nobody would be upset or disappointed with candy or bubbles.

A nice book that you know you will never read is also a great idea.

Don't bring in a piece of garbage.  Nobody wants to receive your trash.  It has to be a legitimate item that you just think is weird.  Be sure to check with your mom.  Don't wrap up her gravy boat that looks like Ben Franklin without her permission.

Wrap the present, but do not tag it.  People should not be able to guess who brought the present in.

We will draw numbers, and when everybody has a number, Number One will pick from the pile and open their gift.

Number Two can then either select a new gift from the pile, or steal the gift that Number One selected.

If you are stolen from, you are next in line to pick from the gift pile.

Once a gift has entered the third pair of hands, it is "frozen," and cannot be stolen again.

OK?

Also, if you want to bring in snacks and food, that would be fine.  Let's sign up for that in the comment section.


4 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.